Friday, June 22, 2012

Author Interview: J. Naomi Ay


Happy Friday to all readers out there.

Today we have a treat. I’d like to thank author J. Naomi Ay for joining us to talk books and stuff…
 
Naomi, you reside in the north Olympic Peninsula, why did you choose this place to live?   
I'll send you a picture and you'll understand.  Right now, it's absolutely the most beautiful place on Earth.  Of course, in the middle of the winter it's something else.  Actually, two days ago it was something else but it looks like the sun has finally come out and is going to stay for a while.

You have been writing for several years now. What inspired you to begin writing?   
Just boredom and bad TV.  I had a story in my head it either had to come out on paper or I needed to be medicated.
I’m sure there are plenty of writers who are self-medicated, but o.k.

Mother of three or epic saga novelist… which has been more taxing on your nerves and why? 
The novel has to do exactly what I want.  The characters there bow to me and acknowledge that I am their deity because I hold the power of life and death, happiness and the alternative over their heads.  The children, two of which are now adults and the third is thirteen, do exactly what they want whether I like it or not and usually include a fair amount of backtalk along with it.  Do you know how lame I am for having written a fantasy?  I am so totally lame.  On top of that, I've been doing book trailers and posting them on YouTube which makes me doubly lame.  I just should not even dare to tread into the cyber world where lame mothers do not belong.
I don’t think it’s lame at all. I give you tons of credit for not taking the easy way out and just accepting the dearth of good novels out there, and jumping into the fray and writing your own.

Tell us about your latest novel in 20 words or less: 
Journey to Rehnor is the prequel to the Two Moons of Rehnor series.  All new characters except for Senya and…
And… ??? Guess we should just read and find out right?


What has been the most exciting part of being a published author?  
 Discovering that people actually like what I have written.  I am absolutely floored by it. 

What has been the worst part of being a published author?   
The constant need to promote.  Hopefully, someday I'll get over that hump and it'll all just happen automatically.
The marketing side is very frustrating and time consuming. If you ever find the “magic bullet” please share with the rest of us.


What has been the harshest critique you have ever received concerning your writing? 
"It was lame", but then again that was from my 13 year old daughter.

As a writer, it is considered unprofessional and inappropriate to give a retort to a critic or criticism. Were it “politically correct” to address your critics personally, what would be the one thing you would say to them? 
"Go to your room."
Snappy retort, lol.
What are your pet peeves?
Weeds, I hate them.  Their like commas which is another one of my pet peeves.  They're both always popping up everywhere and I have to spend way too much time taking them out.

Are you currently working on any other projects?  
I have a day job.  I'm in sales in the renewable energy/recycling sector.  As far as the books go, I'm getting them all out in paperback, doing trailers and my plan this summer is to at least release book 1, The Boy who Lit up the Sky as an audiobook or podiobook.


Where can readers find your works and follow you?

Well Naomi, this has been a thoroughly interesting and enlightening chat, would like to thank you again for stopping by and sharing with us.

Come back soon and fill us in on your promotions and progress with the new book.

No comments:

Post a Comment